Twelve Days of Christmas Cookies
Day 3: Soft Almond Sugar Cookies. These are so YUMMY. However, this is another dough that needs to be chilled for at least 30 minutes prior to rolling and baking, so keep that in mind if you are baking more than one cookie recipe at a time.
1½ cup white sugar
2/3 cup butter (cold)
2/3 cup shortening (room temp)
2 tsp almond extract
2 ¾ cup cake flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
Sugar in the raw (I used raw sugar for this, but any coarse sugar would work)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare baking sheet.
2. Cream sugar, butter and shortening. Stir in eggs and almond extract. Combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt and add to butter/egg mixture. Use electric mixer to ensure dough is thoroughly combined.
3. Chill dough in fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Roll 2 tsp of dough (I used a small cookie scoop) into a ball and roll in raw sugar. Place on prepared pan.
5. Bake cookies for 7 minutes. Remove from oven and gently press rounded tops of cookies flat with the back of a spoon while the cookies are still warm and pliable. The cornstarch will keep the dough from spreading, so this step just makes them look better!
6. Return remaining dough to fridge in between baking each batch.
7. Allow to cool on pan for 1 minute.
8. Remove to cooling rack. Allow to cool completely.
TIP: DO NOT bake longer than 8 minutes!! They may seem under-baked, but when they cool they will firm up.