I learned how to make these cookies from a local culinary store where I took a class with a few of my friends. It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot.
The first item you need is a good scale to weigh all of your ingredients. I purchased mine from a local culinary store, it is manufactured by ADE in Germany.
Powdered sugar 300 g
Egg whites#1 110 g
Food coloring Tt
Granulated sugar 300 g
Egg whites #2 110g
1. Sift the powdered sugar and combine with the almond flour.
2. Stir in the first egg whites and food coloring by hand. Cover with plastic wrap unitl ready to use.
3. Cook sugar and water to 118 degrees Celsius.
4. When sugar reachs 115 begin whipping egg whites.
5. Turn whites down to medium or low speed and pour in the sugar.
6. Return machine to high speed and whip until cool.
7. Add meringue to almond dough slowly.
8. Fill piping with #102 and 103 straight tip.
9. Pipe cookies roughly 1.5" in diameter roughly 1" apart. Hold the piping bag perpendicular to the sheet pan.
10. Let macaroons sit at room temperature uncovered for (at least 40 mins.) 1 hour.
11. Set black oven to 375 degrees.
12. Bake cookies for 10 minutes rotating half way through. Remove from oven and take cookies of sheet tray immediately. Tip: @ 8 mins. open and close oven 3 times to give cookies air.
13. Store in freezer until ready to fill. Once filled store them in the refrigerator.
Yield: 72 cookies
You can fill these cookies with lots of different fillings/flavors. That is what makes these cookies so yummy. I used a wonderful Italian Buttercream.
Total prep time: 30 minutes
Egg whites 1/2lbs.
Butter 1 1/2lbs.
Measure egg whites
2. Whip on high speed for 2-3 minutes.
Lower to medium speed and whip until cool.
The finished meringue should be shiny and smooth.
3.Gradually add the soft butter with the mixer on medium-low speed. Whip until smooth and light.
Flavor as desired.
Chocolate Buttercream: add 2.5 oz. chocolate
Hazelnut Buttercream: add 3 oz. praline paste, dash vanilla
Coffe Butttercream: add Sanka powder (2 packets dissolved with a small amount of hot water), dash of vanilla
Pipe inside cookies.